Upon the conclusion of studies conducted under the “Medical Metrology Feasibility” Project, the Medical Metrology Laboratory of TUBITAK UME was formally established by decision of the TUBITAK Science Board on December 6, 2014.
The main objective of UME Medical Metrology Laboratory is to establish the traceability of measurement quantities relevant to medicine, to integrate the measurement quantities into the international metrology system through international comparisons and to ensure measurement unity by disseminating traceability to lower level laboratories within the country or abroad through calibration, measurement and test services. The other objective of the laboratory activities is to produce research projects in line with national priorities and the stakeholder demands. In this context, the laboratory has participated as a partner in research projects conducted within the European Metrology Research Programme (EMRP) and European Metrology Programme for Innovation and Research (EMPIR) under EURAMET.
As well as ensuring measurement traceability of the devices used in medicine and reliability studies, the Medical Metrology Laboratory has implemented projects such as calibrator design and production for medical devices. In addition to this, the laboratory has also organized trainings for professionals that perform medical device calibrations.
Study areas of the laboratory include:
- Ensuring measurement traceability of the devices used in health field and reliability study
- Calibrator design and production for medical devices
- Establishing systems and implementing projects for the application of ultrasonic techniques in the health field
- Conducting performance tests of hearing aids and headsets
- Phantom (Tissue-mimicking material) production for pre-clinical research
- Practical trainings for professionals perform in medical device calibrations
Device Production, Calibration and Measurement Services include:
- Patient Simulator Calibrations
- NIBP Simulator Calibrations
- Defibrillator/Pacer Analyzer Calibrations
- Electrical Safety Analyzer Calibrations
- Pulse-Oximetry Analyzer Calibrations
- Infusion Pump Analyzer Calibrations
- Gas Flow Analyzer Calibrations
- Electrosurgey Analyzer Calibrations
- Hearing Aid Performance Tests
- Filter Media for Respirators
- Measurement Systems for Ultrasonic Applications in the Health Field
- Portable Ultrasonic Wattmeter Device Production
- Infrared Ear Thermometer (IRET) Measurement System Device Production
- Phantom Production for Ultrasonic Imaging System
- Ultrasonic Probe Production for Imaging and Treatment Purposes
Primary Ultrasonic Power Standard
Currently, the working range of the national ultrasound power standard is between 1 MHz and 15 MHz frequency and 10 mW and 150 W (especially for HIFU-High Intensity Focused Ultrasound systems for therapy have been established and projects implemented to apply ultrasonic techniques, determine output powers of devices used in ultrasonic diagnostic and ultrasonic treatment and for the characterization of ultrasonic transducers.
- Determination of output power of ultrasonic diagnosis and treatment devices,
- Pressure field characterization of ultrasonic transducers
In addition, systems have been established for performance tests of hearing aids and headphones and services are also provided in this field.